This week was my first week back to work from maternity leave. Its safe to say this has been the most hectic week of my life.. Trying to balance making lunches, cooking supper and having… More
Another week passes which means another Clean Eating Wednesday!
These turkey burgers were so good and so simple! The recipe I am going to give you is just for the patty so you will have to add up your macros for the additional ingridents you put on your burger if you count. (Bun, condiments, etc.) If you don’t, just pick a healthy bun and ENJOY these super delicious and healthy burgers!
- 1 Package of Extra Lean Ground Turkey/Chicken
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Tbsp Oats (ground or whole)
- Dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder (or seasonings of your choice)
Macros per one: 130 cal, P:14.3 C:2.8 F:6.2
These are very wet because I didn’t want to add a bunch of unnecessary carbs in the patty. I spooned equal amounts of the burger mixture in patty shapes on a parchment lined dish and froze until firm (only a couple minutes) so they were easier to cook and held together better!
I cooked these on the BBQ and they were amazing.
Top yours with toppings of your choice. I had one with a bun and one without both were good!
If I told you these tasted exactly like moist sugary chocolate brownies…
Well i’d be lying..
BUT I will say I love them! Yes, you can tell they are healthy and a little dry but they are chocolaty and kill that sweet craving.
Almond Chocolate GF Brownies
Yeild: 16 small brownies
- 4 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water (set aside)
- 1c whole almonds
- 3/4c oat flour or oats
- 1/2c cocoa powder
- 1/2c non dairy chocolate chips (I used enjoy life brand)
- 1/4c coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4c unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4c pitted dates
Preheat oven to 350. Throw everything except chocolate chips into food processor and process until desired texture. Fold in chocolate chips. Press into 9×9 or 9×11 lined with parchment baking dish. (I used 9×11)
Bake for 28-35min. Let brownies cool for 1-1.5hrs before removing from pan or they will crumble.
Note: This batter will be thick like a dough just press in pan & bake!
One serving: (Makes 16) Calories: 133, Carbs: 10g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 10g
HAPPY CLEAN EATING WEDNESDAY!!
I’m so excited to start making some of your favourite recipes meet your health and fitness goals!
By popular demand my first recipe is sweet and sour meatballs! I’ve been trying to make this recipe clean for longer than I can remember without compromising taste and I think I have finally done it! You be the judge, try out my recipes and tell me what you think and don’t forget to let me know! Tag me in your pictures/email me.
Now… Be pre-warned this recipe still invovles ketchup. I have TRIED to make this recipe without and I have yet to make it work and taste even remotely like sweet and sour meatballs. The only step further to go would be to make your own homemade ketchup.
But let’s be realistic, are you going to do that?
Sweet & Sour Chicken Meatballs
Makes 4 servings: (3 meatballs each)
- 1 Package Ex Lean Ground Chicken (mine was around 430g)
- 1 whole egg
- 1/3c Oats (ground or whole.. I used whole)
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (for cooking in pan)
Cook meatballs over medium heat until fully cooked through before adding sauce.
- 1 small container (single serve) of Unsweetened Apple Sauce (150ml)
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2c Vinager
- 1/4c ketchup
- 1tbsp flour mixed with 2tbsp water
- Garlic Powder
Add sauce to pan and heat until sauce thickens up.
Serve with 1/2c cooked long grain brown rice.
One Serving: (including rice) calories: 388, carbs: 42g, protein: 24g, fat: 13g
Every Wednesday beginning TOMORROW I will start Clean Eating Wednesday where I will post a new clean recipe. I will post calories & macros for each recipe for those of you who count!
All of the recipes will also be linked to my Pinterest account so if you want to go through a list of clean eating wednesday recipes you can find them here:
Do you have a favourite recipe you’d like to keep eating without it affecting your health and fitness goals? Or would just like to eat a bit healthier? Send me the recipe you’d like to see cleaned up via:
Instagram: @fitnesswithmarissa (DM or tag me!)
If I cant make them clean enough to feature I will still try and clean them up for you!
Today I got home from yet another trip.
I spent a few days in the beautiful St. John’s which consisted of shopping and eating of course.
I am a hardcore Costco lover.. I know people say some of the prices aren’t that much of a deal but I LOVE Costco anyway and here’s why:
- A lot of the products I find at costco are usually better deals.. (Trust me I compare prices & amounts!)
- Many of these products I can’t find close to home.
- AND THE SIZE. Like come on. This stuff lasts forever.
⬆⬆⬆ Health Food Finds ⬆⬆⬆
Not all of the items pictured above are costco products but I am going to break them all down for you.
- Kirkland Natural Peanut Butter – no sugar added, no salt added, only peanuts! (COSTCO)
- Martin’s Crispy Apple Chips – 100% dehydrated apple. Only one ingredient…. APPLES (COSTCO)
- Kirkland Whole Almonds – Raw, unsalted. (COSTCO)
- Kirkland Unsalted Cashews – For VEGAN Nut Cheese coming soon!! (COSTCO)
- Rodelle Baking Cocoa (COSTCO)
- Simply Natural Tomato & Basil Pasta sauce – normally I make my pasta sauce with canned tomatos but I seen this stuff and it’s nice to have on hand for a quick pasta if you don’t have a lot of time. It is VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, LACTOSE FREE AND NO ADDED SUGAR. Sign me up!!! (COSTCO)
- Kirkland Ground Cinnamon -you can never have enough cinnamon (COSTCO)
- Pitted dates – I have been trying to use dates as my main sweetener in desserts/my soon to come fresh almond milk so I always have dates in the house. I have never tried these before but there is no added sugar so how different can they be? (COSTCO)
- Everland Organic Flaked Coconut – unsweetened & unsulfered, non gmo, kosher certified, free of artificial preservatives, additives, flavours and colours. One ingredient = dried coconut. (WINNERS) Don’t count winners out people, they always have cool health foods to try.. Just remember to check ✔ the expirary date.
- Elan Mango Slices – If you have been following me I am in constant search for a dried mango WITHOUT added sugar. Seriously. If you have dried mangos in your house and didn’t check the ingridents 9 chances out of 10 there is added sugar in them… Yes, that is why they taste like candy… They basically are. (THE HEALTH FOOD STORE) over by Costco. Really cool health food store, lots of products and great prices. I also got my Nut Mylk bag here.
- Gogo Quinoa Pancake Mix – we don’t eat alot of pancakes in our house but I always love an easy healthy alternative. This product is manufacutered and packaged in Canada! Love it. These are vegan and gluten free. I will let you know how they are! (WINNERS) — Not pictured.
All Costco from costco for my juicing!!
So I have been researching this place for a while and I actually thought it was closed thanks to trip advisor but while walking through the village mall we stumbled upon it and I was so excited!!
I couldn’t wait to try their juice but sadly they were all out of fresh veggies and were waiting for them to arrive so the juice bar was juiceless. Sad. Sad times.
As heartbroken as I was I decided to try a meal of thai chicken, veggies and quinoa. This was actually my first time trying quinoa and I was pleasantly suprised. It was like rice and didn’t really have a taste (and that isn’t a bad thing).
My lunch was really good! My only concern was what was in the sauce on top but there wasn’t a lot, just enough to add some flavour.
What amazed me about this place is that they actually do meal prep which is awesome! If your in St. John’s and your interested in healthy eating you should check this out. Apparently they have healthy mac n cheese?!?! Next time I will definitely be tasting a few differenr menu options.
If you try out anything from here tag me in it and let me know what it was like!
We had an amazing trip but now we are exhausted..
As we all know wine (or any alcohol for that matter) does not help with weight loss or with rheumatoid pain.
I’ve learned that drinking any kind of alcohol really flares up my RA pain but I LOVE wine!
I have really suffered the past month with my rheumatoid pain to the point where something HAS to change.
Is it because I added meat and dairy back in? Maybe! I thought I didn’t notice a huge difference at the end of being vegan but since going back my pain has gotten worse. Is it related? Most likely. But I really don’t know.
Also when I went vegan I didn’t give up wine….
So in the spirit of trying to control my pain I’m giving up all alcohol (even though all I drink is wine or the occasional beer) for the month of April.
I love a glass of wine on Friday night’s or a cold beer with BBQ so this could be a bit of a challenge!!
It is already April 4th but I haven’t had any alcohol in the past four days.
I’ve also been trying to eat a bit less meat and dairy again. However, this time I am being waaay more strategic in how I cut things out and taking it slow.
I really thought I was gonna die from deprevation last time!!!!
Dramatic. I know.
The real reason your here..
These AMAZING PB & J Bars Recipe: I seen this recipe on Jillian Harris’ blog but as usual…
I changed it a bit… So here is my version below… Also. I scanned and created this recipe in my fitness pal and it came out to 122 cal/bar.
***VEGAN & REFINED SUGAR FREE ***
- Box of pitted dates
- 2c oats
- 2tbsp cocout oil
Mix in good processor, press in a parchment paper lined 9×11 pan, refridgerate
- 1 can coconut milk (freeze for a few hours before use)
- 1c Natural PB (can subsititute any nut butter or wow butter)
Place in freezer until firm.
- No sugar added Jam heated and then spread over top.
Freeze until firm.
Makes 30. 122 cal/bar
These are good. Like REALLY good and a great snack for kids too.
*CLEAN IT UP tip: make your own jam to top it with WITHOUT ADDING SUGAR (I’m going to try this next time).*
Peanut Alergy? Use almond butter, cashew butter or WOW butter. (Will change calories per bar)
Wake up call.
The wedding is only 111 days away and in all honesty. This past month has been less than sucessful when it has come to weightloss.
Here has been my true thoughts on beachbody so far but obviously if you read my last post I fell off the radar on my vacation.
Shakeology – The shakes are OK. Some recipes better than others. Its a super food protein shake which is great but I am now 100% in love with the taste. In all honesty i’ve never been a huge protein powder lover anyway.
And shakeology is expensive. If you love it, GREAT! It has lots of great things in it..
Portion fix- Great program, very easy to follow and very easy to make the right choices. But it is a great weight loss tool over time.
Online workouts – These are great! So much variety quick & easy. Love it! Do I miss the gym? definitely! Does it give me the same feeling? No. But it works for me right now and even when I return to the gym I will continue these workouts as well!
I need to buckle down. Get serious and get to where I want to be for the wedding.
I will admit, ever since I added dairy and meat back into my diet I haven’t felt as good as I did when I was vegan for 30 days.
I am going to start adding more of those recipes back in and work towards a healthier me and listen to my body.
Lets get this journey back on track.
Ok.. Its time for real talk!
And it has been a while..
Vacation is HARD when it comes to eating healthy!
My vacation started off great, I packed my healthy snacks and was so mentally prepared to have a healthy vacation.
When we got to Calgary we went to a really healthy resturant called The Chopped Leaf and I had a healthy spicy grilled chicken balsamic wrap. This resturant is a must try for those of you healthy eaters in YYC.
We drove to Banff and went to Chilis for supper where I chipotle chicken salad.
Both were delicious and I felt so good.
Over the course of the next 6 days I began making a list of bad choices when it comes to my meals. Could I have eaten worse? Definitley. I made deicisons that weren’t as healthy as I had initially planned but I still tried to make concious ones.
After the first two days I pretty much felt like crap all week. I went from feeling so healthy to feeling awful after every meal.
And lets not get carried away.. I still made “better” choices..
When everyone got beaver tails… I did not. However, I ate so many foods I wasn’t used to eating and it killed my stomach.
Could I have done better? YES and I wish I had. Not because I didn’t lose weight but because of how I felt from the foods I was eating.
Sluggish. Tired. Awful.
On your next vacation worry less about food and more about how you feel. You will enjoy your vacation more!..
If you do indulge a little to much. Drink too much wine like I did.. Move on, get over it and start fresh.
I still had the BEST vacation ever.
Check out those views. Banff is a MUST see.
Makes 16 squares
This recipe is orignally by Jamie Eason but of course I couldn’t leave well enough alone so I changed it. I’ll give you both so you can decide for yourself.
- 1/3c stevia (I used equal maple syrup) *to swirl into before baking*
- 2 tsp cinnamon *to swirl into before baking*
- 1.5c flour (I used 1c oat flour 1/2c unbleached flour)
- 2 scoops protein
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2c stevia (I didn’t use this)
- 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
- 1/3c greek yogurt
- 1c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven 350 – 8×8 pan for 28 minutes.
I accidently forgot about the swirl and threw all the ingridents in a bowl and mixed…. It still tastes good!
But if you want the pretty swirl… Leave the first two ingridents out (I don’t think maole syrup will work for this so you will have to use stevia or sugar Mix the dry first and the wet seperately then mix together. Pour in dish then swirl the cinnamon sugar mixture through!
That mixture on top is from my very first blog post the vanilla creme from my oreo pancakes!
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- No sugar added syrup
So often I see people setting goals that are unrealistic for the time frame they expect.
Enter my goals.. Ideally I would LOVE to lose 40 more pounds before my wedding in four months.. Is it doable? Well yes, under extreme discipline and hard work I could come pretty close to that goal. But.. A realistic goal for my next four months is 20lbs.
That being said would I be happy 20 pounds lighter.. for sure. I’d feel great, look great and be looking a small bit better then I did before pregnancy..
Of course that isn’t good enough for me!
So I am going to do what I tell all my clients not to do and set a goal that is attainable but quite hard.
Today is the 21st so tomorrow I will have exactly four months until my wedding.
Which is 10lbs a month.
I might not make this goal but i’m gonna sweat trying!!!
I just finished my Country Heat workout and I really enjoyed it but.. Those heavy weights are calling my name.
If I have any shot at all of hitting that goal I am definately going to have to start hitting the heavy weights.
And mayyybe tidying up my diet…
Definitely tidying up my diet.
Today my meal plan breakdown was:
Breakfast: 2 eggs boiled & ezekiel toast
Snack: Strawberries, laughing cow cheese & four crackers
Lunch: Shredded Chicken Sandwich
Snack: Mixed Berry Shakeology
Supper: Moose Pie
Snack: Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie
I know myself that way of eating is not going to get me to 40lbs ha ha!! So I am not off to a good start.
Is it unhealthy? No especially not the way I’m cooking it.
Would I eventually lose weight by eating this way and continuing my workouts? Definitely.
Will I be where I want to be by my wedding? Definitely not.
Time to smarten up!
Ps. Protein Cinnamon Swirl Bread Recipe in next post. Enjoy!